In 2010, the IEEE ratified the 802.3ba standard for 40/100GbE. Similar to how transportation highways are scaled to support increased traffic with multiple lanes, the 40GbE standards use parallel optics, or multiple lanes of fiber transmitting at the same speed. This cost effective 40GbE solutions are a key enabler for delivering support for higher bandwidth flows, lower latency and deterministic load sharing, which promote 40G QSFP+ taking off in 2013. 40G QSFP+ modules have gained much popularity among users. This article will provide some detailed information about QSFP+ modules, especially Juniper QSFP options.
At a Glance of the Juniper QSFP Options
Juniper 40G QSFP+ options are introduced in 5 different flavors:
- The Juniper JNP-QSFP-40G-LX4 module for SMF/MMF links in 2km/150m, respectively.
- The Juniper QFX-QSFP-40G-SR4 module for MMF links for a distance of 150m.
- The Juniper JNP-QSFP-40G-LR4 modules for SMF for a distance of 10km.
- The Juniper 40G QSFP+ to 4 10G SFP+ direct-attach copper breakout cables in lengths of 1 and 3m.
- The Juniper QSFP+ to QSFP+ direct attach copper cables enable a very short length of 1, 3 and 5m.
40G Ethernet: Highest Density in Data Center
40G QSFP+ pluggable transceiver modules are high-density interfaces addressing deployment of high-performance computing in data center clouds. A variety of short-reach copper and longer reach fiber options are made available to enable connectivity between server access, top-of-rack, and end-of-row switches. Juniper 40G QSFP+ modules and QSFP+ copper cables are of no exception.
Juniper 40G QSFP+ Module Overview
The 40G QSFP+ module is a compact, hot-pluggable transceiver used for data communications applications. It supports Serial Attached SCSI, 40G Ethernet, QDR (40G) and FDR (56G) Infiniband and other communications standards. Compared with SFP+ modules, QSFP+ transceiver increases the port-density of 3-4 times. Juniper QSFP+ transceivers offer a very cost-effective way to establish a 40-gigabit link between switches within racks and across adjacent racks. Take JNP-QSFP-40G-LX4 (see in Figure 1) as an example, it is compatible Juniper 40GBASE-LX4 QSFP+ Transceiver. This pluggable QSFP module can reach 2km over single-mode fiber, 100m over OM3, and 150m over OM4 multi-mode fiber.
Main Features of Juniper 40G QSFP+ Modules
- Support for 40GBASE Ethernet
- Hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a 40-Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ Juniper switch port
- Flexibility of interface choice
- Interoperable with other IEEE-compliant 40GBASE interfaces available in various form factors
- Support for “pay-as-you-populate” model
- Support for the Cisco quality identification (ID) feature which enables a Juniper switch to identify whether the module is certified and tested.
Take a Look at Juniper QSFP+ Copper Cables
QSFP+ copper cables were developed for high-density applications, offering a cost-effective, and low-power option for high speed data center interconnects up to 10 meters. 40GbE passive copper cables provide robust connections for leading edge 40G systems and have extremely low power consumption which improves data center power consumption and thermal efficiency which are ideal for 40G LAN, HPC and SAN applications. QSFP+ to QSFP+ passive copper cable and QSFP+ to 4SFP+ passive breakout copper cable are the two common types of QSFP+ cables. Fiberstore provides compatible Juniper direct-attach cables in lengths of 0.5, 1 and 3 meters: EX-QSFP-40GE-DAC-50CM, QFX-QSFP-DAC-1M and QFX-QSFP-DAC-3M. For example, EX-QSFP-40GE-DAC-50CM(see in Figure 2) is compatible Juniper QSFP+ to QSFP+ passive copper cable that is suitable for very short distances of 0.5m and offer a very cost-effective way to establish a 40-gigabit link between QSFP ports of Juniper switches.
Juniper 40G QSFP modules offers best optical solution for those who want to migrate from 10G to 40G in data center networking. Fiberstore is in the business of network innovation. We offer a large variety of compatible Juniper 40G QSFP options. With Fiberstore compatible 40G products, upgrading to 40 and 100GbE seems to be a simple and painless process. For more detailed information about compatible Juniper products, please contact us freely.